‘All I want is a good nights sleep’ my housemate use to yell at me as she got crosser and crosser because she couldn’t sleep, often making me up to tell me! Insomnia isn’t pleasant and can result in a person focusing their entire day on how you are going to sleep that night, if at all.
My friend worried so much about sleeping that when it came to bed time, she would get herself so worked up that she couldn’t sleep. She would walk upstairs telling herself ‘A good nights sleep, that’s all I want’ it almost became her mantra! As a result of not sleeping she would make mistakes at work, become very short tempered with her family and friends and even crashed her car because she was so tired.
What she didn’t know then, for a good nights sleep, she needed to follow a some of the sleeping rules. This would have helped her sleep and stopped her fearing her bed at night.
The Rules for a Good Nights Sleep
- Sleep as much as you need to feel rested. Then get up, even if it is in the middle of the night.
- Avoid tea or coffee after lunchtime
- Avoid alcohol especially just before its time to go to bed
- Give up smoking, as nicotine is a stimulant
- Do not go to bed hungry
- Ensure the bedroom is dark and quiet
- No iPads, smart phones or any other similar device before going to bed.
- No Social Media before bed.
For more tips on a good nights sleep click here
Hypnotherapy would also help. Hypnotherapy trains the mind to rest and focuses on how to stop
The internal chatter that often happens when the lights are out and you have nothing to do except think about the day just completed and the day ahead.