A lack of sleep, difficulties getting to sleep or sleep deprivation can be debilitating, frustrating and can affect all areas of your life. The medical term is insomnia and there is a way of beating insomnia.
Insomnia can be linked a number of other illnesses which in turn may lead to an increased risk of cardiovascular problems, high blood pressure and can cause heart attacks, in addition to depression and anxiety. Insomnia affects a fifth of a doctor’s patients and increases with age.
If you suffer from sleep deprivation or insomnia, it is advisable to create a plan/strategy for your sleeping, often referred to as ‘sleep hygiene’.
The Sleeping Rules
- Sleep as much as you need to feel rested. Then get up, even if it is in the middle of the night. Do not lay in bed and try and sleep as you will only get angry and frustrated then end up clock watching
- Avoid tea or coffee after lunchtime
- Avoid alcohol especially just before it's time to go to bed
- Give up smoking, as nicotine is a stimulant
- Do not go to bed hungry
- Ensure the bedroom is dark and quiet
- Make sure your bedroom is an even temperature of around 18 degrees, your room should not be too cool or too warm
- Make a list of tasks and any worries you may have before going to bed. You don't want to sleep with worries in your head, they will keep you awake
- Try to exercise daily
- Do not use iPads, smart phones or any other similar device before going to bed. The light can suppress the release of the sleep hormone melatonin.
- Do not get involved in Social Media before bed as this will pray on your mind during sleep.
- Make a note of your sleep deprivation or insomnia periods to see if there is a pattern
Beating Insomnia – You have Options
- Try a relaxation therapy like Hypnotherapy or CBT
- Sleeping tablets provide some hours of sleep but can lead to dependence
- People with chronic insomnia should be referred to a specialist sleep clinic
- Create a system/schedule that involves relaxing and time for yourself.
Example of Insomnia Sleeping System/Schedule
- 8.00 pm - Smart phones, iPads and computers are turned off
- 9.30 pm - Television is turned off and warm shower
- 10.00 pm - Get ready for bed, listen to some relaxing music?
- 10.30 pm - Go to bed and listen to a Hypnotherapy CD
Do you suffer from Sleep Depriation?
then you need to contact me.
Just click here »